Thursday, August 10, 2006

PIFF possible alternative draft schedule and other things

Hello,
It has been brought to my attention that some people work. (Perish the thought!) So I have constructed the following alternative draft schedule. This would still take place starting August 21st and go for ten days. And again these times are in CST.

6:00pm Takawokonia Plankers
6:20pm Netthuania Nites
6:40pm Damierana Ecilops
7:00pm Sparrow Island Maties
7:20pm Pirataly Vampirates
7:40pm Futontopia Elders
8:00pm Harbor Coast Red Burns
8:20pm Snotvia Snotknockers
8:40pm Svinksland Pillagers
9:00pm Scotslandi Kilters
9:20pm Tsukestan Picklers
9:40pm Tea Republic Steepers
10:00pm Kreplachistan Rebels
10:20pm Ambersandia &s

If you have a preference to either this draft schedule or the one that is already in place respond back, whichever one gets the most support by Saturday night will be the one that we go with.

Ok, that is all the business for now. Now for more fun stuff.
If you want to change your team colors or have your helmet redesigned, I will work on them if you let me know before the weekend is up. If you do not let me know by then I will assume you are happy with your current team helmet.

Oh, since some of the new players do not know everyone through the cryptic nature of their team names, here is how everyone in the league is related to me:
Takawokonia Plankers – Baker, Roommate from Smith House
Netthuania Nites – Jenette, Sister
Damierana Ecilops - Addison, Friend from Garden City
Sparrow Island Maties – Andy, Friend from High School
Pirataly Vampirates – Michelle, Sister
Futontopia Elders – Newgen, Friend from High School
Harbor Coast Red Burns – Lance, Friend from K-State Stat Dept.
Snotvia Snotknockers – Nicole, Wife
Svinksland Pillagers – Davin, Roommate from Smith House
Scotslandi Kilters – Julia, Friend from Garden/ Pickle's wife
Tsukestan Picklers – Pickle, Friend from High School
Tea Republic Steepers – Shannon, Me
Kreplachistan Rebels – Aaron, Friend from Manhattan
Ambersandia &s – Amber, Friend from Manhattan

There, now everyone knows everyone else.

Now for the next couple of lines I would like to further explain better what's going on with the scoring system this year and how it came about.
The way I got this scoring system is by inputting real game statistics into a regression model that tried to predict the final score of real NFL games. Then I found what statistics were significant and also how important each statistic is.
One of the biggest changes this year is to abandon the 6 point touchdown in favor of the 3 point touchdown. The reason is because players can be rewarded more accurately for the effort they contributed to the score if all the points for the score was not already wrapped up in the actual touchdown.
Last year in PIFF I combated this by over shooting the points awarded on the offence and then reducing out the points from points allowed from the defense. This worked, but it lead to a fair amount of games resulting in a negative score, which is not a realistic result. So after running the regression model I was pleased to see that I did not need to subtract out points allowed to come up with a good fantasy football scoring system. So that is the logic behind how the scoring system was made. Now I am not really that happy with the scoring system, it seems to me that it will score low, but we will see. And if we do move over to ESPN for next year there will be many more factors that can be included in on the regression model (such as home team, head coach, and even bonuses for reaching a certain plateau, such as rushing for 100 yards).
If you have any questions or want to know anything else about the scoring system ask away, it is something that I really like talking about.

Finally (thanks for reading this much already btw), I have redone the PIFF blog, its address is:

http://pirateislandsff.blogspot.com/

I redid the look and I also linked up each team with their past record (look on the sidebar). Also I am looking for contributors to the blog so if you think that you would like to write short posts as the season goes on let me know and I'll get it so you can contribute as well.

Ok, that is all for now. Remember to tell me which draft schedule is better for you.
Rock on,
Shannon

No comments: