Tuesday, December 30, 2008

PIFF 2008 Championship and Wrap Up

Now we must close the 2008 season, which was another successful year for the PIFF. The Tea Republic Steepers was able to hold off the Snotvia Snotknockers to win the Championship, while the Scotslandi Kilters continued their impressive late season run to win the Consolation bracket, beating the Tsukestan Picklers. If the Kilters would have had won one more game in the regular season they would have made it to, and won the Championship Playoffs.

As always I am grateful for everyone putting in the time to play the season, I had a great time playing and I hope everyone else did. The plan for finishing up the season is to get everyone a price list for the keepers sometime later this year when salary cap figures are released.

I think that the changes in the scoring system that we had were a step in the right direction, but they are still going to need some tweaks. The biggest change for next year will probably be a reduction in negative points for DEF points allowed. I still like the idea of losing points for poor DEF performances, but this year it seemed that too many of the outcomes each week were directly tied to the performance of the DEF. I am also thinking about getting receiving yards more points, and adding in bonus points for yards gained (like 1 extra point for a 100 yard game). Throughout the season this year I have been recording the NFL data so that I can run the numbers to try to see what should to be changed. I'll give some more updates when I start working on that.

One big thing I am considering for next year is to start a "minor league" for PIFF. I am starting to meet more people that are interested in joining our league, or just want to give fantasy football a try. Our league can only hold 14 teams is the max and I do not want anyone to leave PIFF so I thought that running a side non-keeper league would be a way to introduce new people while not giving them the pressure of having to be in a league "that counts". I would run the minor league just like PIFF except for the keeper aspect of it, so the scoring system would be the same, as would the naming conventions of the teams, etc. I think that as long as there are 4 or 5 new people interested I will give it a shot. So if you have a significant other, parent, or sibling that wants to give fantasy football a shot next year let me know (especially since they would be in a different league you could help them out more than if they were in PIFF). The sooner I get people signed up the sooner I can make football helmets for them, and as we all know the PIFF is a just ruse so that I have an excuse to make football helmets. :)

Well as I said at the opening, this was another great year of PIFF, and I have already started to think about who I am going to keep for next year and who needs to get the ax.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas, and enjoy the NFL playoffs!
(Anyone else rooting for a Cardinals/Dolphins Super Bowl?)

No comments: